While we all acknowledge the fact, that the body of Christ is totally fragmented & even broken; we still spend a great deal of time make great attempts at recognition for each other in regards to where to seek worship.
When I first took up my responsibilities, as Director of Spiritual Care, here in Redlands, California; I was under the allusion that I could actually make a difference in every ones life in this very mixed community.
I was very aware that I was entering a community,who's foundation was firmly rooted in the "American Baptist Church" tradition. For many, they were still under the belief that this was the case, rather than accepting, the actual truth. It was now, due to financial reasons,having residents who practically came from every Christian position, imaginable,with the hope that it will develop a greater understanding in a truly ecumenical setting.
As I am responsible for the Chaplain's program, it is crucial, that I am able to build up relationships with all. This is second-to-none.While at first, this seemed straight forward;it can be,nothing short of the truth. Redlands is nicknamed; "The City of Churches",with the numbers increasing all of the time! But still the vast majority, being of a non-Denominational position;therefore the residents also reflect this.
As a result,when this Traditional Anglican walks through the door,it is not exactly welcoming by all, and meant alot of "Relationship Building" on behalf.Had I not made a great deal about the scriptures and emphasised an evangelistic approach, then it could have really got uncomfortable for me!
So for the first 12 months, I was a layman;something that was non-threatening to all. While on occasions the odd Episcopal or Roman Catholic priest would be a resident,of the majority;liturgical worship was totally alien and therefore, not welcomed.
About 12% are Episcopalian,but as the majority are firmly sitting in the Liberal camp,our relationship was not going to be the best with a lot of them. It amazed me, how most of the Liberal Episcopalians sought to find out,where I stood on certain church issues;
namely:1. Ordination of women and 2.The "Gay"issue. It still amazes me that those who are supporters of these modern day concerns,turn on those who are not in agreement. These Liberals continue to work "behind the scenes' in the the attempted destruction of the Anglican faith and replace it with their socalled:"Inclusiveness",by excluding all those who do not see it their way.
Part of this, involved one of the Bishops dismissing a conservative Priest and forcing another into the arms of the Roman Catholic church.
While some of the Conservative members have sought to leave the church,many have made a knee-jerk reaction and sought refuge in the ministerial arms of an Anglican group who seek to compromise, by seeking pastoral oversight of one of the willing African Bishops.
As the vast majority have sought pastoral care from, very few expected me to be ordained an Anglican clergyman,especially in light of the fact that, many members, both in the San Bernardino & Long Beach areas saw me as their opposition;this could not be further from the truth.
As I now function through the jurisdiction of UECNA as an Anglican clergyman,their has been acceptance of authority;not mine,but that of the church,God's church here on earth.Others are unsure of this Traditional Anglican that I am.But it is from the lease expected, that I am even more accepted than ever:Retired American Baptist Church Missionaries!
If this is Ecumenism at work,then there is a lot of work ahead and maybe we have to resign ourselves to the fact, that sometimes,like the Anglican Communion,we have to step out and go it alone








3 comments:
Very nice post Dn. Lee! Welcome to the blogosphere. You will be in my prayers. Traditional Anglican churchman are a rarity and often find themselves in the most challenging of situations. May you reflect the glory of Christ to all with whom you minister to. Blessings to you.
Don+
Dn.Lee, Congratulations on your new blog!UECNA is proud of you!
God bless you, your family and your new presence at Redlands CA.
+Leo
Dn Lee,
Thanks for the great posting of churches. Merthyr Dyfan Church is fascinating and All Saints Margaret Street is wonderful!
Blessings,
Fr. Wes
Post a Comment